Transition from Part C to Part B
Indicator 12: Percent of children referred by Part C prior to age 3, who are found eligible for Part B, and who have an IEP developed and implemented by their third birthdays. For current information regarding this indicator please review the APR.
Indicator 12 Data Collection System: Program Participation System (PPS)
The Department of Public Instruction and the Department of Health Services have worked collaboratively to develop an electronic referral and reporting system to ensure children participating in county Birth to 3 programs (Part C) experience a smooth and effective transition to early childhood programs (Part B). County Birth to 3 programs use the Program Participation System (PPS) to refer children in county Birth to 3 programs to the local educational agency (LEA) for special education. LEAs receive these referrals electronically and submit data for Indicator 12 through the PPS.
Web Access Management System (WAMS) - How to get a WAMS ID
Use this site to create a WAMS User ID. This is needed to access WISA and/or PPS. This is a one-time activity.
|Wisconsin Integrated Security Application (WISA) Production
Authorized Users Only
The Director of Special Education or designee, acting as the LEA's Security Coordinator for PPS, establishes who is authorized to use the PPS Production site. To access WISA, a WAMS user ID and password is required.
|Program Participation System (PPS)
Production - Early Childhood Transition
Authorized users may search this site for students referred from county Birth to 3 programs and enter data on early childhood transition. This is the data specifically needed for Indicator 12.
Training and Technical Assistance
For PPS Users:
- Ensuring IEP/PPS Data Accuracy, May 30, 2012
- Program Participation System Directions, August 31, 2010
- PPS Common Problems and Solutions
- Guidance on Indicator 12 Reason Selections, March 24, 2011
- Introduction to PPS
For Security Coordinators:
- Security Coordinator Step-by-Step Directions, September 10, 2009
- List of PPS Security Coordinators, July 2014
- PPS: Security Coordinator Training For Directors of Special Education
Each Director of Special Education must view this Security Coordinator Training in preparation for using the PPS. The presentation covers how to obtain a WAMS ID and register to use PPS as the Security Coordinator, as well as how to set up additional LEA users in PPS.
Recorded Presentation (WMV) - PowerPoint Presentation - Speaker Notes
LEAs and families...working together
- Overview of Early Childhood Indicators
- Webinar: Part C to Part B Transition Timeline & Program Participation System (PPS), December 8, 2010
PowerPoint Presentation - Recorded Presentation (WMP)
- Ready.. Set.. Go: Ensuring a Smooth Transition from Birth to 3 to Special Education (Overview). This presentation was developed collaboratively by the Department of Public Instruction and the Department of Health Services Birth to 3 Program. It is based on the transition initiative called Ready.. Set.. Go.. Transitions and Options. In this webcast strategies are shared for ensuring a smooth transition from Birth to 3 programs to special education.
Webcast - PowerPoint Presentation
- Sample LEA Notification Letter, a letter that LEAs should send to parent(s) after receiving LEA Notification from B-3 (April 11, 2010) English - En Espanol - Hmong
- DPI Information Update Bulletin 99.09, Transition from Birth to 3 Programs to Special Education
- Facilitating Transitions for Families: http://www.waisman.wisc.edu/birthto3/Chen_story.pdf
- Educators and Parents Working Together: http://sped.dpi.wi.gov/sped_agreement
- Family Involvement in Transition Planning: http://www.waisman.wisc.edu/birthto3/q4.pdf
- Transition Resources for Families: http://www.waisman.wisc.edu/birthto3/q5.pdf
- National Early Childhood Transition Center resources include a searchable database of transition research, policy, and practice: http://www.hdi.uky.edu/nectc/NECTC/Home.aspx
- The National Early Childhood Transition Initiative website: http://nectac.org/topics/transition/ectransitionta.asp
- The Wisconsin State Professional Development Grant website: http://www.wispdg.org/. Click on Early Childhood Hub for resources.
Resources for Regional Meetings
- Early Childhood Transition Planning Worksheet
- Resources to assist in writing and reviewing an interagency agreement may be found on the Collaborating Partners website: http://www.collaboratingpartners.com/disabilities-indicators-8-12.php
- Sample Interagency agreements: http://www.collaboratingpartners.com/disabilities-indicators-8-12.php (bottom of page)