Eligibility Determined in a Timely Manner
Indicator 11: Percent of children who were evaluated within 60 days of receiving parental consent for initial evaluation or, if the State establishes a timeframe within which the evaluation must be conducted, within that timeframe.
For current information regarding this indicator please review the APR.
Indicator 11 is a report of performance on a requirement of special education law. A local educational agency (LEA) must determine if a child is a child with a disability within 60 days after the local educational agency receives parental consent for administering tests or other evaluation materials. If the IEP team determines no tests or other evaluation materials need to be administered, the LEA must complete the evaluation within 60 days of providing the parents a notice that no tests or evaluation materials will be administered.
The 60-day time limit does not apply in two instances:
- When a child transfers to another LEA after the 60-day period and before an eligibility determination by the child's previous local educational agency IF the new LEA and the parent have agreed to a specific time when the evaluation will be completed. Also, the LEA must make sufficient progress to ensure a prompt completion of the evaluation.
- If the child's parent repeatedly fails or refuses to produce the child for the evaluation.
The 60-day time limit may be extended when a child is being evaluated for a specific learning disability and the timeline is extended by mutual written agreement between the parent and the IEP team.
The goal is 100% of children with parental consent evaluated and their eligibility determined within 60 days of LEA's receipt of parental consent.
The percent of children with parental consent evaluated and whose eligibility was determined within 60 days is determined through a formula. The percent is "b" plus "c" divided by "a" times 100. For children included in "a" but not included in "b" or "c" (children not evaluated within 60 days), LEAs report the range of days beyond the timeline when eligibility was determined and any reasons for the delays.
The formula elements are defined as:
- The term "a" is the number of children for whom parental consent to evaluate was received.
- The term "b" is the number determined not eligible whose evaluations and eligibility determinations were completed within 60 days.
- The term "c" is the number determined eligible whose evaluations and eligibility determinations were completed within 60 days.
Data for this indicator will be collected through the Procedural Compliance Self-Assessment.