The Wisconsin Statewide Parent Educator Initiative (WSPEI) now has available the 2013-2014 training schedule for Parents in Partnership (PIP) and Youth in Partnership with Parents for Empowerment (YiPPE).
What is Parents in Partnership (PIP)?
Parents in Partnership is a leadership development opportunity for parents of children with disabilities. Parents and other caregivers meet together five times during the year to: share their family stories, challenges, joys, and triumphs of raising their children. They will learn about community and statewide resources for children with disabilities; explore issues around health, education, policy making, legislation, inclusion, self-determination, family well-being, and IDEA Special Education Law. The program assists parents in developing: communication skills, leadership skills, positive advocacy skills, collaboration skills, their own Community Action Plan.
What is Youth in Partnership with Parents for Empowerment (YiPPE)?
Youth in Partnership with Parents for Empowerment is a leadership development opportunity for youth with disabilities and their parents to learn about the transition process in a unique way. Youth and their parents will hear from speakers and take part in hands-on activities in parallel programs over five weekends. The program assists youth ages 15-20 to: make decisions for themselves and become as independent as possible, get involved in their school and community, make friends and have fun, become self-advocating and self-determined, learn what the future could hold for them as they think about living on their own, college, work and health. YiPPE assists parents to plan for their youth's future by: enhancing their leadership, communication, and social skills, providing information in the areas of health, employment, education, inclusion, legislation and adult services, connecting them to national, state, and local resources that will help their youth make a smoother transition.
If you are a parent or care-giver of a child/young adult who has a disability and want to be part of this exciting partnership, register soon! Partnership sessions are limited to 25 participants. People selected for Partnership commit themselves to attend all sessions. We encourage couples to participate together, if possible. Single parents are welcome to bring a support person with them to participate in our program, provided this person shares responsibility for your child.
- YIPPE, (Youth in Partnership with Parents for Empowerment), Green Bay: October 10-11, 2014; November 7-8, 2014; January 9-10, 2015; February 20-21, 2015; April 24-25, 2015 - Registration
- YIPPE, (Youth in Partnership with Parents for Empowerment), Rice Lake: October 3-4, 2014; November 14-15, 2014; January 16-17, 2015; February 20-21, 2015; March 20-21, 2015 - Registration
- YIPPE, (Youth in Partnership with Parents for Empowerment), Milwaukee: December 6, 2014; January 10, 2015; February 21, 2015; March 14, 2015; April 18, 2015 - Registration
- Parents in Partnership (PIP), Danbury: October 10-11, 2014; December 5-6, 2014; January 9-10, 2015; February 27-28, 2015; April 10-11, 2015 - Registration
- Parents in Partnership (PIP), Mole Lake: November 15, 2014; January 17, 2015; February 21, 2015; March 21, 2015; April 18, 2015 - Contact local Education Office to register