On this web page are a variety of documents and tools that may be useful. These include:
- Mental Health Needs of Students who are Deaf and Hard of Hearing--Background and a Screening Protocol
- Webcast - PowerPoint Presentation - Word Document
- This web cast proposes a number of first steps that Pupil Services professionals can take to help identify and meet the social-emotional needs of students who are Deaf and Hard of Hearing. The viewer will have an opportunity to recognize the range of hearing loss and be ready to gather information from multiple sources in order to best understand the current status of a student’s hearing loss and communication needs.
The DPI is host to a Work Group of people from multiple agencies meeting to address the mental wellness of students who are deaf or hard of hearing. They work to increase awareness and appropriate practice in supporting students who may have a social-emotional or mental health need.
- Guidelines for Discussion on Consideration of Special Factors When a Student is Deaf or Hard of Hearing
- Teachers and administrators reviewed and created this document to assist IEP teams in having a comprehensive discussion about the Special Factors within the IEP and how they may apply to the needs of students who are deaf or hard of hearing.
- Expanded Core Curriculum
- Students who are deaf or hard of hearing have functional educational needs unique to their disability. The Eligibility Criteria Guide includes a section on Expanded Core Curriculum for students who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing (pages 25-27). The curriculum includes communication, self-awareness and self-advocacy skills that can become a part of the students’ functional skill development and is included on the IEP as needed.
- National Guidelines on Educational Services for Students Who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing
- The National Association of State Directors of Special Education (NASDSE) has updated their publication on Meeting the Needs of Students who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing. This 92-page document is available for purchase for $25.00. It provides guidelines to districts on Foundations for Educating Students who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing, Administration and Support Structures, Assessment, Services and Placement Options, Personnel and a Glossary. To order this book, go to www.nasdse.org.
Information Update Bulletins
For questions about this information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org (608) 266-1781