The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA 2004) permits, and sometimes requires, local educational agencies (LEAs) to use Part B funds for coordinated, early intervening services (CEIS).
IDEA 2004 regulations at 34 CFR 300.226 permit an LEA to use up to 15% of Part B funds to develop and implement CEIS. Coordinated early intervening services are for students who have not been identified as students with disabilities under IDEA but who are determined to need additional academic and behavioral supports to succeed in general education.
IDEA 2004 regulations at 34 CR 300.646(b)(2) require an LEA to reserve 15% of Part B funds for CEIS when it has been determined to be a district with significant disproportionality. Such LEAs must provide CEIS particularly, but not exclusively, to students in those groups that were significantly over identified.
CEIS may be used for students in kindergarten through grade 12, with a particular emphais on students in kindergarten through grade 3 and include:
- Professional development for teachers and other school staff for the delivery of scientifically based academic instruction and behavioral interventions, including scientifically based literacy instruction and instruction in the use of adaptive and instructional software, and
- Providing educational and behavioral evaluations, services and supports. 34 CFR 300.226(b)
Any LEA that uses Part B funds for coordinated early intervening services must annually report to the state education agency on:
- The number of students served by coordinated early intervening services, and
- The number of students served by coordinated early intervening services who subsequently receive special education and related services during the preceding two-year period. 34 CFR 300.226(d)
IDEA CEIS funds may be used to supplement, but not supplant, activities funded with and carried out under the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA). 34 CFR 300.226(e)
IDEA Coordinated Early Intervening Services (CEIS) Resources
- CEIS Budget Allowables - FY 2010
- CEIS Narrative Worksheet - FY 2010
- CEIS Narrative Instructions - FY 2010
- Maintenance of Effort Information (MOE) and CEIS:MOE Technical Assistance Document
- OSEP CEIS Guidance Document
For questions concerning IDEA Flow-through and Preschool Entitlement budget software, contact email@example.com.
Further questions regarding IDEA Flow-through and Preschool Entitlement grants should be directed to the Special Education Consultant assigned to your district.