Local educational agencies (LEAs) comply with certain state and federal special education notice requirements by placing the following notices in newspapers or other media.
Model Notice of Child Find Activity: Confidentiality of Personally Identifiable Information
This notice may be used to meet the federal law requirement in 34 CFR 300.612. The notice must be published in newspapers or announced in other media, with circulation adequate to notify parents throughout the LEA of the activity, prior to any major Child Find activity.
- Placing the notice on the LEA’s website is sufficient.
- Placing the notice in an LEA publication sent only to households with enrolled students is not sufficient.
- Charter schools authorized under section 118.40 of the Wisconsin Statutes are required to place this notice. Placing the notice on the charter school’s website, or placing the notice in a school publication sent only to households with enrolled students is sufficient.
Model Notice to Parents and Individuals Required to Make Referrals
This notice may be used to meet the state law requirement in §115.777(3)(d), Wis. Stats. The notice must be disseminated, at least annually, in a manner that will reach all parents and individuals required to make referrals throughout the LEA.
- Placing the notice in a newspaper with LEA-wide circulation, or placing it in an LEA publication mailed to all postal addresses within the LEA is sufficient.
- Placing the notice on the LEA’s website is not sufficient.
- Charter schools authorized under section118.40 of the Wisconsin Statutes are not required to place this notice.